Who Can Borrow from MacEwan Library?
- MacEwan University students, staff, faculty, retirees and alumni with a MacEwan ID/Library Card
- NEOS consortium members
COVID restriction: TAL members can borrow but are unable to place holds.
Use Your MacEwan ID/Library Card to Request Items from:
- MacEwan Library
- most NEOS Libraries (including the University of Alberta)
- Alberta Health Services and Covenant library items remain unavailable.
COVID restriction: borrowing from the libraries listed below is not available. This service will return once libraries reopen.
- Libraries Across Canada: Set up your COPPUL card at the Library Services Desk.
- Libraries around the world: See the Interlibrary Loans page for more details.
Returning Library Items:
Return library items to the library you picked them up from.
Library item return locations at MacEwan University:
- Building 5, East entrance - 105th Ave & 105th St (return bin)
- Building 6, 2nd floor - across from east elevators (return bin)
- Building 6, 2nd floor - next to Technology Support Desk (return bin)
- Building 7, North entrance - 105th Ave & 107th St (return bin)
- Building 7, 2nd floor - Library Services Desk
- Building 7, 2nd floor - near staircase to third floor of library (return bin)
- Robbins Centre, 2nd floor - near pedway to SAMU building (return bin)
- Allard Hall, 4th floor - outside Technology Centre,11-435B (return bin)
COVID procedure: Starting Monday, February 8th, we will no longer quarantine library items. The latest scientific evidence shows the risk of COVID transmission through inanimate surfaces (including library items) is very low. Onsite library staff continue to follow University health and safety procedures including regular hand washing and wearing masks.
|Item||Loan Period||Renewals||Late Charges|
|Students||Books, CDs, DVDs*||4 weeks||2||N/A|
|Leisure Reading Collection*||4 weeks||2||N/A|
|Staff/Faculty||Books-Main Collection*||1 term||1||N/A|
|Scores, CDs, DVDs*||4 weeks||2||N/A|
|Retiree/Alumni||Books, Scores, CDs, DVDs||4 weeks||2||N/A|
|TAL||Books, Scores, CDs, DVDs||2 weeks||4||$1.00/day|
Lost items will be charged a cost of the original purchase price.
Reserve Item Loan Periods*
|Item||Loan Period||Renewals||Late Charges||Lost Charges|
|Textbooks||24 hours||0||$2.00/day||Original cost|
|Reserve Items (Hourly)||2 or 4 hours||0||$1.00/hour||Original cost|
|Reserve Items (Daily)||1 or 3 days||0||$1.00/day||Original cost|
|Reserve Laptops**||3 days||0||$5.00/day||$800.00 (PC) / $1900.00 (Mac)|
|Reserve iPads||3 days||0||$5.00/day||$400.00|
|Reserve Go Pro Cameras||3 days||0||$5.00/day||$200.00|
|Reserve 360 Cameras||3 days||0||$5.00/day||$500.00|
*Reserve items are only available for MacEwan students, staff and faculty.
**Students must be currently enrolled in a course to borrow reserve laptops.
A discretionary fine of $50.00 may be charged on overdue reserve items for abuse of reserve loan periods.
Paying Fines / Paying for Lost Materials
- Make a payment for library fines and lost items 24 hours a day through My Account. Select “Fines” from the menu.
- Fine payments are also accepted in-person.
- Payments for lost items can be made online, or at the Library that owns the item.
- MacEwan Library accepts payment by debit or credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express).
Not done with an item? Renew it.
- Renew your items online at My Account, over the phone, or in-person. Items that have been requested by someone else cannot be renewed.
- Overdue items may be renewed (if no one else has requested them) but late charges will apply up to the renewal date.
How do I renew a book if I have an Alumni or TAL membership?
You can renew items by logging in to your NEOS Account.
Placing a Hold
- Log in to My Account
- Search for the item you wish to borrow by using the search bar on the library's homepage
- Click the "Place hold" button beside the item you want to borrow
- Select "MacEwan University Library" as your pickup location
- You'll receive an email when your item is ready for pickup - while the library is closed, please pick up holds at our Library Takeout pickup location in 7-292 during Library Takeout hours.
- After two weeks, any item that is borrowed can be requested by another person. When this happens, a recall is issued.
- Recalled items are given a shorter loan period and notifications will be sent to your MacEwan email. Notifications will also appear in the Checkouts section of My Account.
- Accounts with over $50.00 in fines or an overdue recalled book will be blocked.
- Blocked accounts cannot renew or borrow new items.
- To remove the block from your account, return the overdue items and pay fines so your account balance is under $50.00.
- Pay the full amount online through My Account, or make a full or partial payment in-person.