Who Can Borrow from MacEwan Library?
- MacEwan University students, staff, faculty, retirees and alumni with a MacEwan ID/Library Card
- Distance Education Students
- NEOS consortium members
Use Your MacEwan ID/Library Card to Request Items from:
- MacEwan Library
- Most NEOS Libraries (including the University of Alberta)
- Libraries Across Canada: Set up your COPPUL card at the Library Services Desk.
- Libraries around the world: See the Interlibrary Loans page for more details.
Returning Library Items:
Return library items to the library you picked them up from.
Library item return locations at MacEwan University:
- Building 7, North entrance - 105th Ave & 107th St (return bin)
- Building 7, 2nd floor - Library Services Desk
- Robbins Centre, 2nd floor - near pedway to SAMU building (return bin)
- Allard Hall, 4th floor - outside Technology Centre,11-435B (return bin)
View a map of our return locations.
|Item||Loan Period||Renewals||Late Charges|
|Students||Books, CDs, DVDs*||4 weeks||2||N/A|
|Staff/Faculty||Books-Main Collection*||1 term||1||N/A|
|Scores, CDs, DVDs*||4 weeks||2||N/A|
|Retiree/Alumni||Books, Scores, CDs, DVDs||4 weeks||2||N/A|
|TAL||Books, Scores, CDs, DVDs||2 weeks||4||$1.00/day|
Lost items will be charged a cost of the original purchase price.
Reserve Item Loan Periods*
|Item||Loan Period||Renewals||Late Charges||Lost Charges|
|Textbooks||2 hours||0||$1.00/hour||Original cost|
|Reserve Items (Hourly)||2 or 4 hours||0||$1.00/hour||Original cost|
|Reserve Items (Daily)||1 or 3 days||0||$1.00/day||Original cost|
|Reserve Laptops**||3 days||0||$5.00/day||$800.00 (PC) / $1900.00 (Mac)|
|Reserve Go Pro Cameras||1 week||0||$0.00/day||$200.00|
|Reserve 360 Cameras||1 week||0||$0.00/day||$500.00|
*Reserve items are only available for MacEwan students, staff and faculty.
**Students must be currently enrolled in a course to borrow reserve laptops.
A discretionary fine of $50.00 may be charged on overdue reserve items for abuse of reserve loan periods.
Paying Fines / Paying for Lost Materials
- Make a payment for library fines and lost items 24 hours a day through My Account. Select “Fines” from the menu.
- Fine payments are also accepted in-person.
- Payments for lost items can be made online, or at the Library that owns the item.
- MacEwan Library accepts payment by debit or credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express).
Renewals and Holds
Not done with an item? Renew it.
- Renew your items online at My Account, over the phone, or in-person. Items that have been requested by someone else cannot be renewed.
- Overdue items may be renewed (if no one else has requested them) but late charges will apply up to the renewal date.
How do I renew a book if I have an Alumni or TAL membership?
You can renew items by logging in to your NEOS Account.
Placing a Hold
- Log in to My Account
- Search for the item you wish to borrow by using the search bar on the library's homepage
- Click the "Place hold" button beside the item you want to borrow
- Select "MacEwan University Library" as your pickup location
- You'll receive an email when your item is ready for pickup.
- After two weeks, any item that is borrowed can be requested by another person. When this happens, a recall is issued.
- Recalled items are given a shorter loan period and notifications will be sent to your MacEwan email. Notifications will also appear in the Checkouts section of My Account.
- Accounts with over $50.00 in fines or an overdue recalled book will be blocked.
- Blocked accounts cannot renew or borrow new items.
- To remove the block from your account, return the overdue items and pay fines so your account balance is under $50.00.
- Pay the full amount online through My Account, or make a full or partial payment in-person.