Find Journal Publishers
- Ulrichsweb (MacEwan login required) - Information on over 300,000 periodicals of all types: academic journals, magazines, and more.
- Directory of Open Access Journals - Indexes scholarly peer-reviewed open access journals covering all subjects.
- SCImago Journal & Country Rank - Provides citation and publication metrics on academic journals' relative scientific influence.
Note: Journal metrics are not always a reliable measure of overall quality and worth since citation practices vary by discipline, and not all journals are accounted for in ranking tools.
Publishers to Avoid
When considering a publisher, ask yourself the following questions:
- Indexing: Is the journal indexed in reputable databases? Use the Library’s Find by Citation tool to find out.
- Fees: Is the journal up front about any author charges?
- Members: Does the journal list a managing editor and editorial board members with legitimate academic affiliations and contact information?
- Frequency: Does the journal publish regularly?
- Policies and procedures: Does the journal provide detailed information about author submission guidelines, peer-review processes, copyright, etc.?
- Overall quality: Does the journal website content have typos or broken links? Are articles professionally copy-edited? Is this somewhere you are proud to have your work featured?
Want some help?
Contact your subject librarian with details about the research you are planning to publish for assistance identifying relevant peer-reviewed journals in your field.