Reference Sources | Taxonomy | Images | Organizations & Associations | Other
- ICE Biological Inventory Databases - an inventory of plants and animal species in protected areas throughout the world.
- MedlinePlus - this database from the National Institute of Health (NIH) in the U.S., is strong in information on medicinal properties of plants in addition to other types of information.
- Neurological Disorder Information (National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke) - provides information about a comprehensive range of neurological disorders
- OMIM - Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man - from the National Center for Biotechnology Information, this database is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders.
- Plants Database (USDA)
- PrimateLit - a bibliographic database for primatology, linked to the MacEwan Get It fulltext linking system.
- Tree of Life
Organizations & Associations
- Algaebase - a database of information on algae and sea-grasses including references to journal articles (many of them full text) including terrestrial, marine and freshwater organisms.
- The Biology Project - an interactive online resource for learning biology
- BiologyBrowser - compiled by Thomson Reuters for life sciences. Includes bibliographies, checklists, and many other useful online resources.
- BioPortal - provides access to information from 4 dozen Canadian federal and provinical govt agencies pertaining to biotechnology applications that affect health, food, environment, economy and industry.
- Canada's Aquatic Environments - an interactive educational web site at the University of Guelph to promote awareness of Canada's aquatic resources. Topics include Habitats; Animals; Plants; Human Interaction; Research in Canada.
- Canadian Biodiversity Website
- Cells and Microscopy - including images and video streaming
- DNA from the Beginning - an animated primer on the basics of DNA, genes, and heredity
- The Evolution of Man
- Genes and Disease - a collection of articles that discuss genes and the diseases that they cause from the National Library of Medicine
- Online Biology Book - hosted by Estrella Mountain Community College in Arizona, and written and maintained by Michael J. Farabee
- RCSB Protein Data Bank - an Information Portal to Biological Macromolecular Structures
- ARKive Image, video and soundclips database of animal and plant species threatened with extinction, from the British Wildscreen. Also provides description, range, status, biology and other information.
- Cells Alive!
- Evolution - a multimedia site from PBS
- Earth Trends: the environmental information portal - country profiles from the World Resource Institute
- Science @ a Distance - http://www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/bc/ahp/SDV2.html - online Biology modules for learning about mendelian genetics, enzyme interactions, biological energy and other topics from Prof. Blamire from CUNY.
- Biolabs: Interactive Laboratory Simulations - 31 virtual labs from McGraw-Hill covering evolution, regulatory genes, iron stress in diatoms and others.
- World Health Organization - Core Health Indicators available by country and by indicator and year
- Science & Nature Hot Topics: Climate Challenge - from BBC, a game where you are president of the European Nations. You must tackle climate change and stay popular enough with the voters to remain in office.
Page last updated: 10/29/2010